Thursday

Tabouli (Trial Run)

While cooking some food for the rest of my work week last night, I had some tomatoes and parsley that were gonna be going bad soon, so I decided to try making Tabouli. I personally enjoy it with a lot of different things; on a salad, with a chicken breast, or on a pita chip for example.

Traditionally Tabouli is made with tomatoes, onion and/or chives, parsley, mint and wheat bulgur. Then seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice and/or zest, salt & pepper. Some variations add garlic and lettuce. And either quinoa or couscous will sometimes be used instead of wheat bulgur.

I didn't have any mint or chives this time around and I opted out of using garlic in fear that it would be too potent. When I make it again I will definitely use chives, and maybe try a little mint and garlic.


Tabouli



First I started by getting my Wheat Bulgur cooking. This takes approximately 30 minutes to make. Follow the instructions on the packaging. 


Then while that cooked, I chopped up all my veggies, which included approximately two small bunches of flat leaf parsley, 2 1/2 tomatoes and 1/3 of a red onion.

              
Once I was done chopping all that up, my wheat bulgur was ready! Yes, it took me almost 30 minutes to chop up parsley, tomatoes and onions! You gotta make sure to de-stem your parsley, and I pitted the tomatoes so there weren't any seeds in there.
I mixed all that business together really well and then added my seasonings and juices. 


I just added the salt and pepper to taste and used about a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon and a half of lemon juice. But even the lemon juice I did to taste. Some of you may be more in to the bitter lemon taste than others.


Here's the breakdown of ingredients and cooking instructions ...


Tabouli

Prep Time: 30 Minutes   Cook Time: 30 Minutes   Servings: 2 Cups

Ingredients

2 bunches               Parsley (Flat or Curly Leaf)
2 1/2 - 3                  Roma Tomatoes
1/3                          Red Onion (chopped)
1/2 Cup                  Wheat Bulgur
1 Cup                     Water
1 1/2 Tbsp              Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp                    Olive Oil
A pinch of Kosher Salt & Pepper (add to taste)

Instructions

Bring to boil 1 cup water, then add wheat bulgur, cover, remove from heat, and let sit for 30 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Finely chop up approximately 2 bunches of parsley. Dice 2-3 roma tomatoes and approximately 1/3 of a red onion. Add all of these ingredients to a bowl.

Once wheat bulgur is tender add to bowl with vegetables and herb.

Add in your lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well.


Nutrition Information --->  Total Calories: 123  Fat: 4g  Protein: 3g


_________________________________________________________________________________


I hope you enjoy my trial run recipe! Please feel free to contact me with your thoughts, modifications or your own recipe!! I would love to hear from you.


Thanks for letting me share!


Crista





No comments:

Post a Comment